The Canadian Hydrographic Conference allows the Canadian Hydrographic Service, Science Sector, Ministry of Fisheries and Oceans to maintain Canada’s profile as a leader in hydrographic and oceanographic operations.
It is a non-profit, scientific and technical group of more than 200 members with the objective of:
- Advancing the development of hydrography, marine cartography and associated activities in Canada;
- Furthering the knowledge and professional development of its members;
- Enhancing and demonstrating the public need for hydrography;
- Assisting in the development of hydrographic sciences in developing countries
Other CHA objectives include:
- Raising public awareness about the importance of hydrography and demonstrating its importance
- Assisting in the advancement of hydrographic sciences in developing countries
It is the only national hydrographic organization in Canada. It embraces the disciplines of:
- Hydrographic surveying;
- Marine cartography;
- Marine geodesy;
- Offshore exploration;
- Tidal and tidal current studies.